The best way to beat a felony is not to get arrested. However, should you be arrested for a felony there are two very important things you must do:
#1 – DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR CASE WITH ANYONE EXCEPT AN ATTORNEY!! All calls in the jail are recorded, and your “cellmate” will rat you out if it means getting a better deal. Only discuss your case with your attorney. If you tell anyone else anything the State will try to use what you said as evidence against you.
#2 – Hire an experienced Criminal Defense Attorney!! If you have been charged with a felony, you need a good lawyer to represent your interests. Here are some of the things an experienced lawyer will do to help you beat your charge:
- Once you hire an attorney, the lawyer will ask to view all of the evidence against you. The lawyer will also take statements of any and all witnesses. By doing this a good attorney can find weaknesses in the State’s case that may help you either beat the charge or get the charge reduced.
- The attorney will talk with your witnesses. If they have helpful information the attorney will list them in your case. That way they will be able to testify on your behalf.
- Make all of your necessary court appearances. If you fail to appear at a mandatory court date, the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest.
- Stay under the radar! Don’t do things that violate the terms of your release and don’t do anything that could result in more charges being brought against you. Don’t return to the location where the crime supposedly occurred and do not associate with co-defendants until the conclusion of the case.
- Be honest and up front with your attorney! If you lie to your attorney they can’t help you. It is very important you tell them EVERYTHING! The attorney can not reveal anything you tell them to the Court. But if you don’t tell them and it comes out later in trial it may hurt your case. So make sure you tell them everything that happened.
No lawyer can ever guarantee an outcome in a criminal case. But by following the steps above you can put yourself in the best position to get the most favorable outcome for your situation.